MY TAKE ON JUICING AND JUICE CLEANSES
A few years ago I did a juice cleanse with some co-workers @ LivingSocial. I wanted to know what all the hype was about, if I could do it, and what my results would be if I did. Well, I did it. Three days, all juice, some nut based milk blends and no solid foods. My results...I was hangry and my skin had a bit of a glow - although at that point, who knows, maybe I was just hallucinating. I will say, that of course everyone's experience is different, and no two cleanses are identical - but here are some takeaways from mine.
1. I am not a huge fan of things that are not sustainable long term. You most likely will not just be drinking juice the rest of your life. Once you stop will you "feel bad" or like you have "given up" or are not being "healthy." I am not in favor of plans that induce these feelings.
2. If I were to do it again, I would be sure to know the nutritional contents in full, to be sure I was getting everything (protein, carbs, fat) I needed.
3. If I were to do it again, I would pick a cleanse that included shakes, not just juice so I felt more satiated, if not physically at least mentally.
4. I love food. Actually chewing food - so for those who feel the same but also think they need a "reset" I suggest cleansing with food and juice. So instead of just juice, add in healthy grains, greens and proteins. Go a few days or a week cutting processed foods like chips, cereal, granola bars and muffins. I bet you will feel great!
5. Juice has a ton of sugar! Even fresh squeezed juice!
6. At the root of all eating disorders is the desire to gain control. Gaining control is the coping mechanism - and people seek for control in what they allow to enter, or not enter their bodies. I am not saying a cleanse is going to make you have an eating disorder by any means - but I will say that sticking to a cleanse can give a sense of control - and I have seen for some it becomes a dangerous pathway.
7. Be careful not to buy into buzz words - like "ridding yourself of toxins" something a lot of cleanses promise. Take time to do your research!
The Juice I made today had:
- 1 and 1/2 apples
- 3 quarters of a large bag of spinach
- 6 celery stalks
- 1 medium ginger root
- 1/3 cup pineapple
- 4 large carrot sticks
The fun thing about juice is you can change the ingredients to meet your taste!