Mexican Stuffed Peppers
What you will need:
- 4 bell peppers, any color, cut in half seeded (I like to use red)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic finely diced
- 1 lb. hamburger meat 90% lean
- 2 tbs. ground chili powder
- 2 tbs. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce (optional with chiles)
- 1 jalapeno finely chopped (optional)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa, rice blend (I use Minute - multi grain medley - brown, red, wild rice & quinoa)
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro + some for garnish
- Juice of one lime
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (for topping - divided for each portion which is 1/2 a pepper)
What you will do:
- Preheat oven to 375
- Place peppers on a large baking sheet skin down. Put aside.
- Heat oil in pan on medium heat. Add onion, cook, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and cook for about 2 more minutes- continue to stir frequently.
- Add meat, seasoning, and sauce. Cook for about 6 minutes, stirring frequently until meat is almost cooked (slightly pink).
- Add jalepenos, quinoa blend, beans, corn, cilantro, and lime juice, reduce heat and cook for about 3 minutes or until heated through.
- Divide meat mixture evenly between pepper halves and cover with foil.
- Bake for 35 -40 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Serve with cheese sprinkled on top and cilantro. Add salsa and guacamole if desired!