Guiltless Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
What you will need:
· 14 ounces cremini or white button mushrooms
· 1 link fresh sweet Italian chicken sausage, casings removed
· 1 teaspoon olive oil
· 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
· 1 celery stalk finely chopped
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· black pepper
· 2 tablespoons Italian breadcrumbs
· 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
What you will do:
· Preheat oven to 400
· Stem the mushrooms, finely chop the stems and set aside
· Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken sausage and cook, using a wooden spoon to break the meat into small pieces, until cooked through and browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
· Add the olive oil to a pan, then add the onion. Cook, stirring for 1 minute, then add the celery. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring, until the celery is soft, about 12 minutes. Add the chopped mushroom stems to the pan, season with the salt and a pinch of black pepper, and cook, stirring until soft. Add the cooked sausage, stir in the bread crumbs and the parmesan. Set aside.
· Lightly season the inside of the mushroom caps with a pinch of salt. Fill each mushroom with a heaping tablespoon sausage stuffing, rounding off the tops. Place them in a baking dish and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.